This policy (together with our Terms & Conditions and any other documents referred to in them) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
The type of information we may collect from you includes:
1. Your full name.
2. Your landline or mobile telephone number and e-mail address.
3. Information included in any documents or forms you complete, or online services to which you subscribe.
4. Details about the services you specifically request from us.
5. Information you complete in relation to any potential client surveys.
We will seek your consent to acquire and process any Personal Data that may identify you individually. Any information that we do collect about you is stored securely and deleted once it is no longer relevant or required for the original purpose of collection. We may also keep digital or paper based copies of all relevant correspondence, invoices, receipts and estimates relating to business and financial transactions in accordance with Charity Commission stipulations and auditors’ requirements.
The Personal Data you provide to us when using this website may be processed for the following reasons:
1. To process an application for membership of the Society and collect subscriptions (see our membership page) for further details.
2. To process any orders you make.
3. To process any request for advice or information to be supplied by us.
4. To process any application made by you for a grant or award supplied by us.
5. To register you or supply tickets for Society events such as indoor meetings and field trips.
6. To customise this website according to your interests.
7. To comply with our statutory and regulatory obligations
8. We will only use your personal data for the purpose requested and we will erase once it is no longer required or relevant for that purpose.
9. To administer any user account you may have with us
We will keep your personal information confidential, except to the extent that we are compelled to disclose it by law (for example where fraud or other crime is involved), or to comply with an instruction of a regulatory body of competent jurisdiction. From time to time we may be called upon to demonstrate our maintenance of certain professional standards, as set by appropriate authorities, and/or to satisfy our auditors, and/or to comply with regulations in relation to money laundering or other statutory requirements.
Disclosure Of Your Information
We may share your Personal Data with certain third parties in the following circumstances:
1. To provide services that you specifically request from us, and with your consent.
2. If the Society or part of its assets are acquired by a third party, we shall seek your consent before transferring your Personal Data to that third party.
One or more of the following Lawful Bases will apply to Processing or Disclosure of your Personal Data:
1. Consent. We will have requested and received your consent to process your data for a specified purpose.
2. Contract. We will process your data to provide you with a product or service you have paid for ( for example a book ordered from our website, or the services we provide when you pay us a subscription for membership of the Yorkshire Geological Society).
3. Legal obligation. The processing is necessary for us to comply with the law or the direction of a regulatory body.
4. Legitimate interests. We will have a compelling justification for processing your data, which we will explain to you (for example we may ask you to register for a meeting or field trip with limited places and for safeguarding and insurance purposes).
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes, or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking any relevant boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise this right at any time by clicking here to contact us.
Our website may contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies, and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check their policies before you submit any Personal Data to these websites.
If you believe that the information we hold about you is inaccurate, please write to us at our postal address or click here to contact us. We will then amend the information as soon as possible and not later than one month after we receive your request.
You may ask us to provide you with a record of the Personal Data we hold about you, using the enquiry form here
You may ask us to erase any Personal Data we hold about you, using the enquiry form here.
All actions requested under these rights will be actioned as soon as possible and not later than one month after we receive your request
To comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018 we adhere to strict security procedures. The Personal Data which we hold will be held securely, to ensure no unauthorised disclosure or access. If you register for any user account with us, you will be required to adhere to the security provisions set out in our terms and conditions.
We reserve the right to appoint an internet service provider to host our website on our behalf, which could be situated outside the European Economic Area. By agreeing to our terms and conditions of use of our website, you consent to any transfer of your personal information outside the European Economic Area. This may be necessary for us to achieve the purposes set out above.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not guaranteed to be 100% secure. Although we will do our absolute best to protect your personal data, we cannot fully guarantee the security of your data transmitted to, or from, our website, and any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access.
The Society from time to time may subscribe to third party forums, blogs, chat rooms or social media to disseminate information about geology and environmental science in general, and to communicate information about Society events and awards. We may also subscribe to third party websites for registration and ticketing of Society events. Your interaction with such third party services may require you to set up a subscription or personal account with them. In these circumstances your Personal Data will be held and processed by the service provider in accordance with their privacy policies and any agreement you make with them. To exercise your rights you should contact the third party service provider(s) directly and the Yorkshire Geological Society cannot make any representation to these parties on your behalf.
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)
Our website secures the web pages where you submit your personal information (registration pages, login pages, account pages, order pages, contact forms, and so on) with an SSL connection. SSL is a cryptographic protocol used to provide communication security over the internet. By using SSL we aim to keep your valuable personal data as secure as is currently possible.
Supply Of Information
In accordance with your rights (see above) we shall provide you with a copy of the Personal Data we hold about you free of charge.
For repeated requests or multiple copies we may request a payment from you to cover the reasonable administrative costs of providing that information. We shall advise you of those charges before supply.
To protect your information we shall always ask you for verification of your identity before we supply, modify or erase your Personal Data.
Date And Revision
This policy was issued on 11/05/2018, and is revision 2.2